Notice to BSP MP on police plea for cancelling bail
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Tuesday issued notice to BSP parliamentarian Dhananjay Singh, accused for torturing his maid, on the plea of police seeking cancellation of his bail.
Justice Sunita Gupta sought a response from Singh by May 21.
The Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP was granted interim bail by trial court till May 20. Justice Gupta said she will decide the case May 21 as the MP could surrender on May 20, the date his bail expires.
Moving the high court, Delhi Police sought cancellation of Singh`s bail saying he is influential person and if released on bail, he would tamper with evidence and influence the witnesses.
Singh, a sitting MP from Jaunpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh, was granted bail to campaign for Lok Sabha elections as well as due to his father`s illness.
Singh is an accused of destroying evidence to shield his wife Jagriti, who was arrested for torturing her maid leading to her death. He was charge sheeted Feb 1 along with his wife for various offences, including destroying evidence and abetting murder and attempt to murder.
The BSP leader and his wife, a dental surgeon in a government hospital here, were arrested in November 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- Zee Media Exclusive: Wife says Yakub Memon unwell, appeals to govt for clemency