Notice to Delhi police in blackmail case of Anoushka Shankar
New Delhi: A court on Saturday issued a
fresh notice to Delhi Police in the case of alleged blackmail
of Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Sitar maestro Ravi Shankar,
directing it to ensure availability of a response from the US
authorities on the Letters Rogatory forwarded to them.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ashu Garg directed the
Investigating Officer of the Delhi Police`s Special Cell to
file the response also on the forensic examination of the
seized laptop of accused Junaid Khan, a Mumbai-based
A Letters Rogatory -- the formal request to the
judicial authorities in a foreign country for getting help in
collection of evidence -- was forwarded to the US authorities
seeking help from Google Incorporation in the case in November
The court also issued summons to the Investigating
Officer seeking his presence before it on November 11.
Meanwhile, the court allowed an application filed by
Suleiman M Khan, the counsel, seeking exemption of the accused
from personal appearance.
Khan, who was accused of sending e-mails to Anoushka
demanding USD 1,22,000 in return for the private photographs
obtained after hacking her mail IDs, has been granted bail by
the court on November 19 last year.
The police alleged Khan had first sent threatening
emails from the UAE and then from Mumbai. He was nailed after
the police found that the phone number allegedly used for the
purpose had been registered in Khan`s name.
Khan, who deals in shares and stocks, was arrested by
the Delhi Police on September 14, last year.
He had been booked under IPC provisions relating to
extortion and theft and other provisions of the Information
The police had filed the chargesheet in the case on
November 11 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM