Notice to Delhi police in blackmail case of Anoushka Shankar
New Delhi: A court on Saturday issued a
fresh notice to Delhi Police in the case of alleged blackmail
of Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Sitar maestro Ravi Shankar,
directing it to ensure availability of a response from the US
authorities on the Letters Rogatory forwarded to them.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ashu Garg directed the
Investigating Officer of the Delhi Police`s Special Cell to
file the response also on the forensic examination of the
seized laptop of accused Junaid Khan, a Mumbai-based
A Letters Rogatory -- the formal request to the
judicial authorities in a foreign country for getting help in
collection of evidence -- was forwarded to the US authorities
seeking help from Google Incorporation in the case in November
The court also issued summons to the Investigating
Officer seeking his presence before it on November 11.
Meanwhile, the court allowed an application filed by
Suleiman M Khan, the counsel, seeking exemption of the accused
from personal appearance.
Khan, who was accused of sending e-mails to Anoushka
demanding USD 1,22,000 in return for the private photographs
obtained after hacking her mail IDs, has been granted bail by
the court on November 19 last year.
The police alleged Khan had first sent threatening
emails from the UAE and then from Mumbai. He was nailed after
the police found that the phone number allegedly used for the
purpose had been registered in Khan`s name.
Khan, who deals in shares and stocks, was arrested by
the Delhi Police on September 14, last year.
He had been booked under IPC provisions relating to
extortion and theft and other provisions of the Information
The police had filed the chargesheet in the case on
November 11 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test