Notice to Delhi police in blackmail case of Anoushka Shankar
New Delhi: A court on Saturday issued a
fresh notice to Delhi Police in the case of alleged blackmail
of Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Sitar maestro Ravi Shankar,
directing it to ensure availability of a response from the US
authorities on the Letters Rogatory forwarded to them.
Metropolitan Magistrate Ashu Garg directed the
Investigating Officer of the Delhi Police`s Special Cell to
file the response also on the forensic examination of the
seized laptop of accused Junaid Khan, a Mumbai-based
A Letters Rogatory -- the formal request to the
judicial authorities in a foreign country for getting help in
collection of evidence -- was forwarded to the US authorities
seeking help from Google Incorporation in the case in November
The court also issued summons to the Investigating
Officer seeking his presence before it on November 11.
Meanwhile, the court allowed an application filed by
Suleiman M Khan, the counsel, seeking exemption of the accused
from personal appearance.
Khan, who was accused of sending e-mails to Anoushka
demanding USD 1,22,000 in return for the private photographs
obtained after hacking her mail IDs, has been granted bail by
the court on November 19 last year.
The police alleged Khan had first sent threatening
emails from the UAE and then from Mumbai. He was nailed after
the police found that the phone number allegedly used for the
purpose had been registered in Khan`s name.
Khan, who deals in shares and stocks, was arrested by
the Delhi Police on September 14, last year.
He had been booked under IPC provisions relating to
extortion and theft and other provisions of the Information
The police had filed the chargesheet in the case on
November 11 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks