Notice to Hindu College over sports, extra-curricular quota
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Monday issued notice to Hindu College on a plea by an admission seeker against scrapping of the five percent quota for admission to undergraduate courses for sportspersons and for extra-curricular activities (ECA).
Justice Manmohan sought a response from the college while hearing the plea of Vishal Maharaj, who contended that Hindu College has 37 seats available under the ECA category but it scrapped the quota.
The student sought quashing of the college`s notification where it decided to scrap the sports and ECA category for the current session.
The plea said that according to the guidelines of Delhi University, of the total number of seats, a college has to reserve five percent seats for sportspersons and in the ECA category.
The college`s acting principal July 4 declared that there will be no ECA admissions for the academic year 2014-2015 in the college, said the plea.
It contended that the decision was not only whimsical and arbitrary but also against the university guidelines.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH