Now, Delhi govt buildings to be painted white
New Delhi: As part of its energy conservation initiative, Delhi government has decided to paint in white the roof and exterior walls of all its buildings to cut down energy consumption.
The decision was taken at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said white roofs will keep the buildings cool by absorption of less heat. In summer, we can save excess energy used for running ACs and other cooling appliances, they said.
The government is in the process of converting a number of government buildings into `green buildings` by making them energy efficient.
The Delhi secretariat, which houses the offices of chief minister and other ministers, will also be converted into a green building.
As part of its energy conservation measures, Delhi government has already decided to implement the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) for government buildings in the national capital.
The ECBC provides guidelines and norms for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings. It also provides guidelines for reducing energy requirement, environmentally benign design and construction techniques.
The environment department has already made solar water heater system mandatory in industries, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, canteens and residential buildings having an area of 500 sq m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened