Now, Delhi govt buildings to be painted white
New Delhi: As part of its energy conservation initiative, Delhi government has decided to paint in white the roof and exterior walls of all its buildings to cut down energy consumption.
The decision was taken at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said white roofs will keep the buildings cool by absorption of less heat. In summer, we can save excess energy used for running ACs and other cooling appliances, they said.
The government is in the process of converting a number of government buildings into `green buildings` by making them energy efficient.
The Delhi secretariat, which houses the offices of chief minister and other ministers, will also be converted into a green building.
As part of its energy conservation measures, Delhi government has already decided to implement the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) for government buildings in the national capital.
The ECBC provides guidelines and norms for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings. It also provides guidelines for reducing energy requirement, environmentally benign design and construction techniques.
The environment department has already made solar water heater system mandatory in industries, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, canteens and residential buildings having an area of 500 sq m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar monitors search operations but no sign of missing IAF plane
- President Mukherjee, PM Modi condemns suicide attack in Kabul
- In-form Indian women hockey team beats Canada 3-1
- 'Corporate governance reforms to promote sustainability'