Now, Delhi govt buildings to be painted white
New Delhi: As part of its energy conservation initiative, Delhi government has decided to paint in white the roof and exterior walls of all its buildings to cut down energy consumption.
The decision was taken at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said white roofs will keep the buildings cool by absorption of less heat. In summer, we can save excess energy used for running ACs and other cooling appliances, they said.
The government is in the process of converting a number of government buildings into `green buildings` by making them energy efficient.
The Delhi secretariat, which houses the offices of chief minister and other ministers, will also be converted into a green building.
As part of its energy conservation measures, Delhi government has already decided to implement the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) for government buildings in the national capital.
The ECBC provides guidelines and norms for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings. It also provides guidelines for reducing energy requirement, environmentally benign design and construction techniques.
The environment department has already made solar water heater system mandatory in industries, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, canteens and residential buildings having an area of 500 sq m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- Invoking Ambedkar's legacy, PM Modi says no rethink on quotas as Sena boycotts his events in Mumbai