Now, Delhi govt buildings to be painted white
New Delhi: As part of its energy conservation initiative, Delhi government has decided to paint in white the roof and exterior walls of all its buildings to cut down energy consumption.
The decision was taken at a meeting presided over by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Officials said white roofs will keep the buildings cool by absorption of less heat. In summer, we can save excess energy used for running ACs and other cooling appliances, they said.
The government is in the process of converting a number of government buildings into `green buildings` by making them energy efficient.
The Delhi secretariat, which houses the offices of chief minister and other ministers, will also be converted into a green building.
As part of its energy conservation measures, Delhi government has already decided to implement the Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC) for government buildings in the national capital.
The ECBC provides guidelines and norms for the energy efficient design and construction of buildings. It also provides guidelines for reducing energy requirement, environmentally benign design and construction techniques.
The environment department has already made solar water heater system mandatory in industries, hotels, hospitals, nursing homes, hotels, canteens and residential buildings having an area of 500 sq m.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...