NRI businessman asked to pay Rs 75K monthly maintenance to wife
New Delhi: An Indian origin UK businessman has been asked by the Delhi High Court to pay Rs 75,000 as monthly maintenance to his wife in a matrimonial dispute case.
Taking into consideration the man`s "sound" income from various business sources, as he runs IT companies in three countries, and his lavish lifestyle, the court also asked him to pay Rs 50,000 as litigation fees to his wife.
Dismissing the businessman`s plea, a computer engineer based in London, a bench of justices S Ravindra Bhat and Najmi Waziri upheld the family court`s September 2011 order directing him to pay the amount to his wife, who is in India and unemployed after leaving the UK.
"... The husband is able to sustain himself and lives abroad; he even carries on business in three different countries, by incurring some expenditure... The family court, in these circumstances held that the wife was entitled to monthly maintenance of Rs 75,000," the bench said.
The court rejected the man`s argument that he has obtained an ex-parte decree of divorce from a UK court and Indian court`s direction for maintenance was wrong.
Further, the court rejected the man`s arguments that his wife was possessed of means, is capable of earning for herself and had suppressed the fact that she is actually a recipient of unemployment allowance from the UK government.
It said, "There is no substantiation of these allegations. Furthermore, that the wife is not employed presently has not been disputed by the husband."
The bench also said, "Though the husband has reported losses in his business venture, at the same time, the director`s report and income tax statement of income and expenditure reveal that director`s remuneration has been shown in the companies in which he has a controlling interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened