NRI women in Indonesia seek justice for Delhi gang-rape victim
Jakarta: The campaign for justice for the young woman who died days after her brutal gang-rape in Delhi Dec 16 continues to find echo around the world. Women of Indian origin in Indonesia met the Indian ambassador and handed over a petition condemning the crime.
The women, representatives of non-resident Indians in Indonesia and people of Indian origin, met the ambassador Thursday, expressing concern over the rising instances of crime against women in India, and seeking speedy justice for the victim of the gang-rape.
The women also offered suggestions for dealing with such crime to Ambassador Gurjit Singh, who shared their sentiments and assured them that the Government of India was making all efforts to make the country safer for women. He said better governance, better policing, gender sensitisation and growth in social awareness and education were necessary, to prevent such crime.
Singh explained that the government had received the report of the Justice Verma Committee, set up to examine laws relating to sex offences. He said the government would be prompt in pursuing the recommendations of the committee.
The embassy announced a workshop on women`s issues, in which Indian and Indonesian women from various walks of life would participate, would be organised so that women from developing societies could work together to raise awareness on such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!