NRI women in Indonesia seek justice for Delhi gang-rape victim
Jakarta: The campaign for justice for the young woman who died days after her brutal gang-rape in Delhi Dec 16 continues to find echo around the world. Women of Indian origin in Indonesia met the Indian ambassador and handed over a petition condemning the crime.
The women, representatives of non-resident Indians in Indonesia and people of Indian origin, met the ambassador Thursday, expressing concern over the rising instances of crime against women in India, and seeking speedy justice for the victim of the gang-rape.
The women also offered suggestions for dealing with such crime to Ambassador Gurjit Singh, who shared their sentiments and assured them that the Government of India was making all efforts to make the country safer for women. He said better governance, better policing, gender sensitisation and growth in social awareness and education were necessary, to prevent such crime.
Singh explained that the government had received the report of the Justice Verma Committee, set up to examine laws relating to sex offences. He said the government would be prompt in pursuing the recommendations of the committee.
The embassy announced a workshop on women`s issues, in which Indian and Indonesian women from various walks of life would participate, would be organised so that women from developing societies could work together to raise awareness on such issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'
- Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel