Nuclear power key to India`s development: Official
New Delhi: Batting for upcoming nuclear power plants in the country, Principal Scientific Advisor to the Union Cabinet R Chidambaram on Friday said that nuclear energy will play a key role in India becoming a developed nation.
"If you want to raise the quality of life of the people, you have to have nuclear power. The per capita consumption of electricity has to go up six to eight times before India can become a developed country," said Chidambaram on the sidelines of a function here.
The former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman said that according to him the definition of a developed India is where "quality of life in rural India is equivalent to quality of life of non-urban people of already developed countries."
"And for that, the production of electricity has to increase from the present 180,000 MW to a 10,000,00 MW, and that is possible only by nuclear power making an important contribution," he said.
Despite massive protests by locals against the Kudankulam nuclear plant in Tamil Nadu, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) has announced it would set up as many as 20 nuclear reactors in different states of the country.
Chidambaram said that protests would not affect India`s nuclear ambition.
Nuclear scientist Anil Kakodkar said that the Kudankulam plant will be commissioned soon.
"We are getting ready to commission the Kudankulam plant. A very significant amount of work needs to be completed but I am sure they (scientists) will work very hard and do it in as shorter time as possible," said Kakodkar.
He said the government has learnt a lesson following anti-nuclear protests and cannot allow siege of nuclear power stations like this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!