Nuclear power key to India`s development: Official
New Delhi: Batting for upcoming nuclear power plants in the country, Principal Scientific Advisor to the Union Cabinet R Chidambaram on Friday said that nuclear energy will play a key role in India becoming a developed nation.
"If you want to raise the quality of life of the people, you have to have nuclear power. The per capita consumption of electricity has to go up six to eight times before India can become a developed country," said Chidambaram on the sidelines of a function here.
The former Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) chairman said that according to him the definition of a developed India is where "quality of life in rural India is equivalent to quality of life of non-urban people of already developed countries."
"And for that, the production of electricity has to increase from the present 180,000 MW to a 10,000,00 MW, and that is possible only by nuclear power making an important contribution," he said.
Despite massive protests by locals against the Kudankulam nuclear plant in Tamil Nadu, the Nuclear Power Corporation of India Limited (NPCIL) has announced it would set up as many as 20 nuclear reactors in different states of the country.
Chidambaram said that protests would not affect India`s nuclear ambition.
Nuclear scientist Anil Kakodkar said that the Kudankulam plant will be commissioned soon.
"We are getting ready to commission the Kudankulam plant. A very significant amount of work needs to be completed but I am sure they (scientists) will work very hard and do it in as shorter time as possible," said Kakodkar.
He said the government has learnt a lesson following anti-nuclear protests and cannot allow siege of nuclear power stations like this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’