Number of Indians visiting Australia increases
: The number of Indians visiting Australia has increased with a majority of them going to the continent country to spend their holidays, a new survey has found.
"A total of 1,52,500 Indians visited Australia for the year ending June 30 this year, an increase of 5.6 per cent in the corresponding period. This year, till June, 80,300 Indians visited the continent country, which is an increase of 5.4 per cent over the same period last year," a statement by Tourism Australia said.
Of the 1.52 lakh Indians, a high proportion -- 83,704 -- was of those went on a leisure trip, of these 54,250 were visiting friends and relatives while 29,454 for holidaying.
About 27,898 Indians visited for business purposes while 13,933 for education and 26,917 for other purposes.
"This makes India the 10th largest in-bound market for arrivals as on June this year," the statement said.
A total of 5.98 million visitors landed in Australia for the year ending in June, which is an 1.2 per cent increase compared to previous year.
Australia`s Tourism Forecasting Council expects 1.53 lakh visitors from India in 2011-12, an increase of 5.7 per cent over 2010-11, which witnessed 144,000 actual arrivals.
India has also turned out to be the 11th largest source market in terms of expenditure and accounts for three per cent of all international expenditure.
An Indian spends an average of 5,230 Australian Dollars and stays for an average of 62 nights, which was much higher than the global average of 36 nights.
Indian leisure visitors stayed an average of 47 nights in Australia, the study has found.
Tourism Australia is responsible for promoting Australia world-wide as the world`s best destination for business and leisure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After China warns India, Baloch and Sindhi leaders hail PM Narendra Modi outside Chinese embassy – Watch
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission