Numbers soar in Tihar, 1500 more lodged in 2011
New Delhi: The number of prisoners in South Asia`s largest prison Tihar Jail here has climbed to 12,000 with 1,500 more wrong-doers lodged in it last year.
Over 55,000 wrong-doers were sent to the prison last year. Out of this, 53,500 inmates were released, adding 1500 inmates to the prison population, jail officials said.
"The ten jails of Tihar Prisons have a sanctioned capacity to keep 6,250 inmates. However, at present there are nearly 12,000 inmates lodged there," Sunil Gupta, spokesperson Tihar Prisons, said.
19 high-profile inmates including several politicians and businessmen are also lodged inside the prison.
The 1,500 inmates who added to the overcrowded prison population include former telecom minister A Raja and sacked CWG Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
Tihar is one of the largest prison complex in the world comprising nine central prisons and one District Prison at Rohini Prison Complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened