Numbers soar in Tihar, 1500 more lodged in 2011
New Delhi: The number of prisoners in South Asia`s largest prison Tihar Jail here has climbed to 12,000 with 1,500 more wrong-doers lodged in it last year.
Over 55,000 wrong-doers were sent to the prison last year. Out of this, 53,500 inmates were released, adding 1500 inmates to the prison population, jail officials said.
"The ten jails of Tihar Prisons have a sanctioned capacity to keep 6,250 inmates. However, at present there are nearly 12,000 inmates lodged there," Sunil Gupta, spokesperson Tihar Prisons, said.
19 high-profile inmates including several politicians and businessmen are also lodged inside the prison.
The 1,500 inmates who added to the overcrowded prison population include former telecom minister A Raja and sacked CWG Organising Committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi.
Tihar is one of the largest prison complex in the world comprising nine central prisons and one District Prison at Rohini Prison Complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you