Nursery admission rules according to RTE idea: Govt tells HC
New Delhi: The Centre has told the Delhi High Court that its November 2010 guidelines for nursery admission is according to objectives of the Right To Education
(RTE) Act and denied that "it was based on categorisation of children", as alleged in a PIL.
Opposing the PIL, seeking quashing of the guidelines, the Centre filed an affidavit saying the Human Resource Development(HRD) ministry had consulted various educationists, academics, NGOs, civil society organisations and Education
Secretaries of certain state for suggestions to implement the provisions of the RTE Act.
"The decision to allow schools to develop categories, on the basis of the objectives of the schools and follow a system of random selection within or outside the categories, is consistent with the provisions of section 13(1) of the RTE
Act" the affidavit said.
The court, which had also issued notice to the Delhi government for issuing similar guidelines, will hear the PIL on March 8.
The PIL was filed by civil rights group, social jurist challenging the validity of government notifications (Centre`s Nov 2010 and GNCT Delhi`s December 2010).
The NGO`s lawyer Ashok Agarwal said the guidelines giving private schools a free hand to formulate their own admission criteria was against the RTE Act and Delhi high court`s previous orders.
"It is based on categorisation of children. The guidelines will lead to further commercialisation of education at the cost of hapless parents/students," the PIL has alleged.
According to the lawyer, the policy ignored a High Court appointed committee`s recommendations in 2006.
The court had constituted a panel of experts headed by Ashok Ganguly, Chairman CBSE, to go into all the issues related to nursery admission. It enumerated transparency, elimination of interview and minimizing management`s discretion as three basic principles to evolve a common admission process, the counsel added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception