Nursing students move HC against non approval of IGNOU centre
New Delhi: Candidates pursuing post-graduate
nursing course offered by IGNOU have approached the Delhi High
Court following the regulatory body Indian Nursing Council`s
fiat that the Safdarjang Hospital Centre was not approved by
They have complained that the University had assured them
about the approval by Indian Nursing Council (INC) at the time
of joining the course.
"The programme guide stated that Post Basic BSc Nursing
Programme conducted by IGNOU is recognised by the Indian
Nursing Council. However, the INC had on August 8 informed
that it has approved eleven study centers only and in the
list, the name of Safdarjang Hospital is missing," they said.
The petition filed by Bessy Edison, Shiny Chacko and
others pursuing Post Basic BSc nursing Programme run by IGNOU
at the school of nursing in Safdarjang, have sought a
direction to the INC for granting approval to a course run by
the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) at a centre
"The petitioners are aggrieved by the fact that without
NOC from the INC, they will not be in a position to join the
classes for higher studies and the delay will result in losing
one academic year for no fault of theirs", the petition filed
through advocate Wills Mathew said.
Attributing inaction on the part of the Nursing Council,
the petitioners said the course conducted from similarly
placed institutions were approved by the regulatory body.
"The petitioners have joined the Nightingle Institute of
Nursing and are deprived of the right to continue their
classes for MSc just for the reason that it is the case of the
Indian Nursing Council that courses conducted by Safdarjang
Hospital is not approved by them, whereas it is the case of
the Indira Gandhi national Open University that there is
approval from Indian Nursing Council," the petition said.
They have alleged that as per the version of the INC,
another college of Nursing is approved by it and students from
the institution are doing their practical training at the
The petitioners have contended that non-recognition of
the course by the INC resulted in miscarriage of justice for
all the students who have studied in the institution.
"The actions and inactions of the INC and the IGNOU in
settling their legitimate grievances amounts to violation of
their fundamental rights under the Constitution as the same is
arbitrary, discriminatory and against the rules," the petition
The students have also a sought direction to the
Nightingle Institute of Nursing for allowing them to pursue
their studies with them as an interim measure.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’