NYPD officer arrested in Delhi for carrying bullets in luggage
New Delhi: A New York Police Department officer has been arrested and charged here under Arms Act after three bullets were found in his luggage, police said on Friday.
Manny Encarnacion, 49, was arrested in New Delhi on March 11 after he arrived on a Lufthansa Airlines flight from New York, Deputy Commissioner of Police Airport Security M I Haider said here.
"Three 9mm bullets were found in his baggage. He was booked under Arms Act," Haider said.
Encarnacion was produced in court the very same day and was granted bail, police said.
US Embassy officials had visited Encarnacion to assist him.
He has been barred from leaving the country and is due to appear in court on April 17.
Encarnacion accidentally left the bullets in his bag when he was visiting India to meet his newly-wed wife Vida, an Iranian student, a report in the New York Post said.
Meanwhile, the New York Mayor Bill de Blasio today said he is "troubled" by the detention of the police official and hoped that he would be treated fairly by Indian officials.
"Obviously we want to know a lot more about what`s going on," he said at a law enforcement event in New York when asked about the Encarnacion`s case.
"But so far, from what I`m hearing, I`m troubled by it and I want to make sure we`re providing support to him and make sure he`s not being treated unfairly," de Blasio added.
New York Police Commissioner Bill Bratton said the department is "staying very engaged with that issue in India...We are certainly concerned for that officer and for his wife who`s there with him in India at this time."
"But that`s a process that`s moving slowly in the India justice system ? but we`re staying informed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!