OBC students can apply on general seats: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday
held that reserved category candidates can be eligible for
admission under the general category on scoring marks matching
those of unreserved category.
A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice
Manmohan gave this ruling, while declaring two backward
category students eligible for admission to MBBS course in
AIIMS against the general category seats on account of their
marks matching those of successful general category students.
The bench said, "The appellants should not suffer and
their career should not be given an indecent burial and
accordingly, we direct that they shall be admitted in the
general category quota."
The bench gave the ruling on plea by two backward
students -- Tejpal Yadav and Mundhe Kailas Maharudra, who had
secured marks matching those of successful general category
students in the interest test for the AIIMS MBBS course.
But the two were being denied admission by the AIIMS
on the ground that all the seats reserved for backward
category students had been exhausted and they, being the
backward category students, could be eligible for admission
only against the reserved seats.
The AIIMS was not granting them admission against the
general category seats despite there being many vacancy in
that category of seats, said the students in their petitions,
said the students.
They also pointed to the court that they had scored
marks matching those secured by general category students.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan