OBC students can apply on general seats: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Monday
held that reserved category candidates can be eligible for
admission under the general category on scoring marks matching
those of unreserved category.
A bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice
Manmohan gave this ruling, while declaring two backward
category students eligible for admission to MBBS course in
AIIMS against the general category seats on account of their
marks matching those of successful general category students.
The bench said, "The appellants should not suffer and
their career should not be given an indecent burial and
accordingly, we direct that they shall be admitted in the
general category quota."
The bench gave the ruling on plea by two backward
students -- Tejpal Yadav and Mundhe Kailas Maharudra, who had
secured marks matching those of successful general category
students in the interest test for the AIIMS MBBS course.
But the two were being denied admission by the AIIMS
on the ground that all the seats reserved for backward
category students had been exhausted and they, being the
backward category students, could be eligible for admission
only against the reserved seats.
The AIIMS was not granting them admission against the
general category seats despite there being many vacancy in
that category of seats, said the students in their petitions,
said the students.
They also pointed to the court that they had scored
marks matching those secured by general category students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read