Old school building collapses in Delhi
New Delhi: An old school building adjacent to an under-construction multi-level parking lot collapsed here prompting the North Delhi Municipal Corporation to order an enquiry.
No one was injured in the incident which took place in Pitampura late last night.
Enquiry was ordered to ascertain the reasons of collapse of the old school building structure adjacent to a multi-level car parking site, the NDMC said.
North Delhi Mayor Mira Aggarwal and Commissioner P K Gupta visited the site where the incident took place.
"They have ordered an enquiry to ascertain the reasons of the incident. Ravi Dass, Engineer In-Chief of South Delhi Municipal Corporation, has been entrusted the work of enquiry. He would submit the interim report in three days and complete the report in ten days", the NDMC said.
It is learnt that due to leakage, water accumulated under the earth which got softened resulting in its shifting and dismantled the structure erected to support the earth and construction of the concrete walls at the site, it said.
The softening and shifting resulted in collapse of the part of the old MCD school building, it said.
"Teams have been deputed to control the situation any further loss, seven pumps installed for de-watering of the area, concrete waste and debris dumping started, besides earth to fill-up the area", the NDMC said.
"Heavy machinery including Proclaine, to level and consolidate the earth has already been put into service", it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss
- Rajnath Singh in Kashmir, says those who believe in 'Kashmiriyat' are welcome for talks