Old woman imposed Rs 2L fine for stealing power
New Delhi: A 70-year-old woman, held guilty of stealing electricity has been sentenced by a Delhi court to day-long detention in the courtroom, besides a fine of Rs 2 lakh.
Showing leniency to convict on grounds of her age and alleged poverty, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) S K Gupta sentenced Uttam Nagar resident Dhan Devi to detention "till rising of the court", but did not spare her the fine.
"She has allegedly no source of income and is dependent upon her relatives. Keeping in view her age coupled with other facts, I am of the view that convict deserves a lenient view. Hence, the convict is sentenced to undergo imprisonment till rising of the court," ASJ Gupta said.
The court also held that Devi is liable to pay damages of Rs 2.05 lakhs to BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd for the loss she has caused to discom by stealing 10 KWs of power.
A BSES team had inspected Devi`s premises at Uttam Nagar in West Delhi on October 6, 2007 and she was caught stealing power by tapping the main service line of BSES.
Devi`s counsel told the court that she had sold the inspected premises in 2006, as she has no source of income and she was dependent upon her relatives.
"The convict is staying with her relatives for last six years," the counsel said, while seeking leniency.
The court, however, said the accused has failed to explain as to why was she present at the time of inspection when she had allegedly sold the inspected premises.
"I have no hesitation to hold that BSES has proved the case against the accused beyond shadow of reasonable doubt," the court said, while imposing the fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- How much do you know about hepatitis - Take the quiz here
- Muttiah Muralitharan, three others to be inducted into ICC Hall of Fame
- Rio Games 2016: Olympic pro at 22, Shiva Thapa banks on improved strength at mega event
- India vs West Indies: Confident visitors arrive in Kingston for 2nd Test
- Coal scam: Court awards 3 years jail term to Rathi Steel CEO