Old woman imposed Rs 2L fine for stealing power
New Delhi: A 70-year-old woman, held guilty of stealing electricity has been sentenced by a Delhi court to day-long detention in the courtroom, besides a fine of Rs 2 lakh.
Showing leniency to convict on grounds of her age and alleged poverty, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) S K Gupta sentenced Uttam Nagar resident Dhan Devi to detention "till rising of the court", but did not spare her the fine.
"She has allegedly no source of income and is dependent upon her relatives. Keeping in view her age coupled with other facts, I am of the view that convict deserves a lenient view. Hence, the convict is sentenced to undergo imprisonment till rising of the court," ASJ Gupta said.
The court also held that Devi is liable to pay damages of Rs 2.05 lakhs to BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd for the loss she has caused to discom by stealing 10 KWs of power.
A BSES team had inspected Devi`s premises at Uttam Nagar in West Delhi on October 6, 2007 and she was caught stealing power by tapping the main service line of BSES.
Devi`s counsel told the court that she had sold the inspected premises in 2006, as she has no source of income and she was dependent upon her relatives.
"The convict is staying with her relatives for last six years," the counsel said, while seeking leniency.
The court, however, said the accused has failed to explain as to why was she present at the time of inspection when she had allegedly sold the inspected premises.
"I have no hesitation to hold that BSES has proved the case against the accused beyond shadow of reasonable doubt," the court said, while imposing the fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees