Old woman imposed Rs 2L fine for stealing power
New Delhi: A 70-year-old woman, held guilty of stealing electricity has been sentenced by a Delhi court to day-long detention in the courtroom, besides a fine of Rs 2 lakh.
Showing leniency to convict on grounds of her age and alleged poverty, Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) S K Gupta sentenced Uttam Nagar resident Dhan Devi to detention "till rising of the court", but did not spare her the fine.
"She has allegedly no source of income and is dependent upon her relatives. Keeping in view her age coupled with other facts, I am of the view that convict deserves a lenient view. Hence, the convict is sentenced to undergo imprisonment till rising of the court," ASJ Gupta said.
The court also held that Devi is liable to pay damages of Rs 2.05 lakhs to BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd for the loss she has caused to discom by stealing 10 KWs of power.
A BSES team had inspected Devi`s premises at Uttam Nagar in West Delhi on October 6, 2007 and she was caught stealing power by tapping the main service line of BSES.
Devi`s counsel told the court that she had sold the inspected premises in 2006, as she has no source of income and she was dependent upon her relatives.
"The convict is staying with her relatives for last six years," the counsel said, while seeking leniency.
The court, however, said the accused has failed to explain as to why was she present at the time of inspection when she had allegedly sold the inspected premises.
"I have no hesitation to hold that BSES has proved the case against the accused beyond shadow of reasonable doubt," the court said, while imposing the fine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Donald Trump takes another step back from hard-line stance on illegal immigration
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital