Omar`s NOC not needed to hoist flag at Lal Chowk: BJP
New Delhi: Asserting that it does not
require a no objection certificate from the Jammu and Kashmir
Chief Minister to hoist the national flag at Lal Chowk in
Srinagar, BJP today said it would be better if Omar Abdullah
welcomes the Ekta Yatra when it reaches the state.
"We don`t need a no objection certificate from Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah. Jammu and Kashmir is an integral part
of the country...in fact it would be nice if the CM welcomes
the Ekta Yatra. It is his responsibility (to welcome). He is
an elected representative," BJP spokesperson Shahnawaz Hussain
Instead of making statements on BJP youth wing`s plans
to hoist the tri-colour in the Valley, Abdullah should focus
on ensuring that Pakistani flags are not unfurled in the
state, he said.
"The CM should let Hurriyat leader Syed Ali Shah
Geelani and JKLF chief Yasin Malik make statements on the
issue and focus on ensuring that Pakistani flags are no waived
in Jammu and Kashmir," Hussain said.
He said since Congress is a partner in the Jammu and
Kashmir ruling coalition, Home Minister P Chidambaram should
impress upon Abdullah not to oppose the Ekta Yatra and instead
help the party`s youth wing hoist the national flag at Lal
The BJP spokesperson also rejected contentions that
hoisting the national flag at Lal Chowk would create tension
in the Valley. "We do not agree with the assessment...people
of Jammu and Kashmir love the Indian tricolour and our plan
will not create trouble," Hussain said.
Meanwhile, BJP Yuva Morcha President Anurag Thakur
asked the Prime Minister to explain why government was
planning an allowance for militants who had surrendered but
had no money for the special police officers fighting
terrorists in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days