On I-Day, Delhi CM highlights positives of CWG
New Delhi: Under attack following the CAG
indictment for her role in alleged irregularities in certain
CWG projects, Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday sought
to highlight the "successful" holding of the Games and trained
her guns at the detractors for targeting her.
"The biggest success of last year was successful conduct
of CWG. There were questions whether we can organise the
Games. Rains just before the event also marred our
preparations. But the way we organised the Commonwealth Games
was brilliant," she said in her Independence Day speech after
unfurling the tricolour at Chhattrasal Stadium here.
"The Games also brought a lot of development in Delhi.
Now I can say after the conduct of the CWG, Delhi is a city
with all international facilities," she said.
The CAG report, tabled in the Parliament earlier this
month, indicted Dikshit for her "active involvement" in the
grant of a work incurring a loss of Rs 30 crore while slamming
her government on some projects that led to a loss and
escalation of costs of nearly Rs 500 crore.
"The government is committed to infrastructure
development. Whosoever criticise us, let them say... We are
not concerned about them. We will continue with this
accelerated development," Dikshit said in a veiled criticism
of her detractors.
The BJP has been holding rallies and demonstrations
across the city demanding her resignation as well as a
thorough probe into the allegations against her and the Delhi
The Chief Minister said in the past few years there
was acceleration in infrastructural development of the city,
such as construction of several flyovers, stadiums and metro
rails connecting different parts of Delhi as well as satellite
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations