On Rakhi, Afzal, other Tihar inmates meet kin without barrier
New Delhi: Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru was among the lucky Tihar inmates who received love and affection from their sisters on Raksha Bandhan on Thursday.
15,000 women thronged the Tihar Prisons to tie rakhis to their brothers lodged in the jail.
As against the usual norm of `mulaqat` inside the prison premises that happens behind a thick grill and wire mesh, making it difficult to see the visitor and sometimes even understand the conversation, on the occasion of Rakshabandhan inmates are allowed to meet their kin without any barriers.
According to sources, Afzal Guru, a high-security inmate lodged in jail number three, was allowed to meet his visitor without any barrier and celebrate the occasion.
Sunil Gupta, spokesperson, Tihar Prisons said, "We had a total of 4,000 mulaqats today. Nearly 800 rakhis were sent by post to inmates lodged from outside Delhi. 15,000 ladies were here in Tihar to tie rakhi on their brother`s wrist. Rakhi and sweets used during the occasion were made inside the jail by the inmates. Due to security reasons, we do not allow them to be brought from outside."
The mulaqat started at 8 AM and was finally over by 4 PM. However, 8,000 of the 12,000 inmates did not have any visitors on the festival
Gupta said, "This is one time of the year when inmates are allowed to meet their kins without any barrier. This also applies to high-security prisoners."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days