One death, 33 more swine flu cases in Delhi
New Delhi: A swine flu patient died while 33 people tested positive for the Influenza A (H1N1) virus in the national capital Tuesday, taking the toll to four and total number of cases to 154 this year, an official said.
The health ministry however assured that the situation was under control and there was no need to impose travel restrictions.
"Thirty-three people tested positive for swine flu and one death has been reported today (Tuesday) from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital," a Delhi Health Service doctor told IANS.
According to doctors, there has been a sudden spurt in the number of cases. In January alone, there was one death and 39 cases, while February so far has seen three deaths and 115 cases.
According to Delhi government, only 78 cases and one death were reported in 2012.
Health ministry officials said the World Health Organisation, while declaring swine flu pandemic to be over in August 2010, conveyed that the virus would take on the behaviour of seasonal flu and continue to circulate for some years to come.
Hence, in the post-pandemic period, localised outbreaks of varying magnitude with significant level of H1N1 transmission are expected, they said, adding there has been a spurt in the number of cases in Delhi, Gujarat, Haryana, Rajasthan and Punjab.
As the virus is circulating within the country, there is no need to impose any travel restrictions or screening at inter-state point of entry and railway stations, a senior health ministry official said.
The situation is well under control and is being monitored, he said.
"A large number of these cases would be presenting mild influenza like symptoms and as such require no anti-viral drug treatment," he said.
"However, it is important to get oneself examined at the nearest hospital in the initial part of illness to detect moderate illness and other associated risk factors that require hospitalisation," he said.
Officials said anti-viral drug Oseltamivir is available free of cost through the state public health system and a central stockpile of about 5.5 million tablets is also maintained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced