Onion price rise will be "downfall" of Dikshit govt: Swaraj
New Delhi: BJP leader Sushma Swaraj Tuesday said that the onion price rise issue was a case of "divine justice" as it would lead to the "downfall" of the Congress government which had used an earlier jump in the prices of the vegetable to oust the saffron party from power in Delhi.
"During her campaign against me (Chief Minister) Sheila Dixit would wear onion garlands. Congress made it a big issue.
"The same onion issue is now becoming the cause of the downfall of the Congress government," Swaraj said at the launch here of a book authored by the BJP`s prime ministerial candidate for Delhi, Harsha Vardhan.
Galloping onion prices are becoming a major issue ahead of the Delhi elections and Swaraj, the former chief minister of Delhi, termed it "divine justice".
Rise in the prices of the food item had been one of the major reasons for the downfall in 1998 of the BJP government in the state, then headed by Swaraj.
Meanwhile, Swaraj lashed out at Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi for saying that some of the victims of the Muzaffarnagar riots had been approached by Pakistani intelligence agencies.
Swaraj, the Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, said that instead of dwelling on violence in Uttar Pradesh, Congress should first speak about the 1984 Delhi riots.
"They (Congress leaders) should also talk about the Delhi riots, which they don`t. That tragedy happened in Delhi," she said.
Gandhi, in recent speeches, has attacked BJP for allegedly "spreading hatred", for which the saffron party has filed a complaint with Election Commission claiming violation of the Model Code of Conduct ahead of elections.
Swaraj also slammed Congress for their use of the word "communal", saying the party thought that "by using this word, they can win any election".
Referring to the upcoming Delhi Assembly elections, Swaraj said she would campaign extensively for the same and hold 100 meetings before the city cast its vote on Dec. 4.
"Harsh Vardhan has asked me to hold 100 meetings before the elections, to which I have agreed. "After the Chhattisgarh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh elections, I will devote all the time to Delhi elections," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe