`Onion prices down significantly on steps taken by Delhi govt`
New Delhi: The Congress government in Delhi on Saturday said prices of onions had come down significantly due to an initiative taken by it in the last couple of weeks and asserted that the rates would plunge further due to improved supply.
PWD Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan, who looks after the functioning of the wholesale fruit and vegetable markets, said that wholesale prices of onions today ranged between Rs 10-45/kg, resulting in a significant drop in retail rates.
"Onion prices have come down due to intervention by the government. Retail prices of onions witnessed a sharp drop over the last few days. It will come down further in the coming days," he said.
Concerned over the possible impact of high prices of the bulb during the upcoming state Assembly elections, the ruling Congress had taken a number of initiatives to stabilise rates, including directly procuring onions from Maharashtra and Rajasthan.
Congress had come to power in Delhi in 1998 riding on high onion prices which had been prevailing then.
The government had last week started selling onions at Rs 55/kg across the city through 125 mobile vans.
Prices of onions at retail markets in the city has now come down to Rs 60-70/kg after having touched Rs 100/kg a few days back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers