Online fraud: Two officials of shopping portal held
New Delhi: Two top officials of an online shopping portal have been arrested here for allegedly duping people by taking money from them for articles which were never delivered, police said on Saturday.
Arindam Bose (47), an electronics engineer, and Harish Ahluwalia (35), Director and Chief Operations Officer respectively of on-line shopping portal timtara.Com, were apprehended following investigations into over 200 complaints from victims claiming that they had paid money through credit card for various items which were not delivered to them.
S D Mishra, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Economic Offences Wing), said the portal claimed to sell various products like cameras, mobiles, home appliances, kitchen appliances, consumer electronics, computers, games, health and personal care products, home decor, perfumes and watches online.
"The victims had ordered the various articles like mobile phones, cameras, pen drives, external hard-drives, watches, pens and home appliances like toasters, rice cookers, induction heaters etc on timtara.Com.
"The accused after taking money in advance from the victims on the promise to deliver the ordered product never delivered the items. The company in fact shut down their front office in Noida and changed their location to avoid detection and confrontation with the cheated customers," Mishra said.
Most of the victims were lured by "misleading" advertisements, high discount offers and false representations on the website. They ordered the products by paying the complete indicated cost of the product in advance, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler