Online fraud: Two officials of shopping portal held
New Delhi: Two top officials of an online shopping portal have been arrested here for allegedly duping people by taking money from them for articles which were never delivered, police said on Saturday.
Arindam Bose (47), an electronics engineer, and Harish Ahluwalia (35), Director and Chief Operations Officer respectively of on-line shopping portal timtara.Com, were apprehended following investigations into over 200 complaints from victims claiming that they had paid money through credit card for various items which were not delivered to them.
S D Mishra, Additional Deputy Commissioner of Police (Economic Offences Wing), said the portal claimed to sell various products like cameras, mobiles, home appliances, kitchen appliances, consumer electronics, computers, games, health and personal care products, home decor, perfumes and watches online.
"The victims had ordered the various articles like mobile phones, cameras, pen drives, external hard-drives, watches, pens and home appliances like toasters, rice cookers, induction heaters etc on timtara.Com.
"The accused after taking money in advance from the victims on the promise to deliver the ordered product never delivered the items. The company in fact shut down their front office in Noida and changed their location to avoid detection and confrontation with the cheated customers," Mishra said.
Most of the victims were lured by "misleading" advertisements, high discount offers and false representations on the website. They ordered the products by paying the complete indicated cost of the product in advance, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users