OPD services hit as Safdarjung doctors` strike enters 2nd day
New Delhi: The strike of resident doctors in Safdarjung Hospital for better facilities and security entered the second day today, affecting the OPD services even as efforts by Health Ministry to find a solution did not fructify.
Though OPD services were hit, the protesting doctors did not suspend their services in the crucial Intensive Care Units (ICU), casualty, labour room and emergency departments of the hospital, officials said.
A second meeting between the protesting doctors and ministry officials will be held soon, they said.
Resident Doctors Association (RDA) said "no consensus could be reached" in the meeting they held this afternoon with senior health ministry officials and hospital authorities.
"The administration expressed their inability to resolve the issue in the near future. Resident doctors are continuing their strike until demands are addressed satisfactorily by the competent authorities," RDA said in a release here.
Besides medical superintendent of the hospital, the meeting was also attended by a joint-secretary level officer of the Union Health Ministry, RDA leaders said.
"As of now, no concrete solution has been offered by the authorities. However, another round of talks with the senior officials would be held soon. Till then, we are continuing with our strike," RDA spokesperson Dr Sameer Prabhakar said.
The resident doctors went on strike yesterday evening protesting scarcity of hostel rooms for them in the hospital. Besides, they were also demanding enhanced security measures and Wi-Fi facility in the campus.
The protesters demanded that despite manifold increase in the number of Resident Doctors in the hospital, the administration has failed to construct new hostels for them and they are bound to put up in private accommodations located outside the campus.
"There are only around 100 rooms, including 21 rooms for accommodation for married doctors, available in the hospital despite the fact that number of Resident Doctors working here is around 900," the spokesperson claimed, adding that hostel upgrading is the foremost demand of the RDA.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday