Opposition parties slam Govt on BPL affidavit
New Delhi: The controversial Government
affidavit on Below Poverty Line (BPL) cap was condemned by
Opposition today as an "insult and betrayal" of the poor and
also slammed by a key UPA ally NCP.
The Congress on its part asserted that the affidavit was
"not the last word" and that there can be bonafide differences
The affidavit also came under attack from civil society
which sarcastically said that if one earns even one rupee more
than Rs 32 per day he will not be entitled to a BPL card.
Sonia Gandhi-led National Advisory Council member Aruna
Roy criticised the affidavit saying it reflected government`s
deep lack of empathy for the poor and a perspective completely
divorced from reality.
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar threw a challenge to
the government to discuss with it the affidavit at any forum,
saying this is the worst insult inflicted upon the poor.
"The Planning Commission affidavit in the Supreme Court
deciding the number of poor people living below the poverty
line is an insult to the poor, who are suffering because of
raging inflation and corruption," he said, adding "This is a
betrayal of the poor and is akin to rubbing salt on their
The government had said in the affidavit that the
revised benchmark for fixing those falling in BPL category is
an earning of Rs 32 per day. Under the new definition, Rs 965
per month in urban areas and Rs 781 per month in rural areas
is the criteria fixed for BPL.
CPI leader D Raja said the affidavit is ridiculous and
completely unrealistic and clearly shows the disconnect
between the Planning Commission with ground realities.
"Planning Commission affidavit shows total lack of
sensitivity towards the poor and it has been fortunately
rejected by a Planning Commission member Abhijit Sen and
righly so," NCP general secretary DP Tripathi said.
Congress expressed its readiness to consider all
sensitive inputs over the issue while making a plea not to
dismiss decisions on such issues off hand.
"This is certainly not the last word. All positive and
sensitive inputs can be looked into...every constructive
positive element of civil society is entitled to give a
positive input. There is no question of taking sensitive
"There can be bonafide differences of opinion but they
should put their views before the Plannning Commission," party
spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation