OS Act case: CBI gets custody of Verma, wife
New Delhi: Arms dealer Abhishek Verma and his Romanian wife Anca Maria Neacsu were today remanded in CBI custody for ten days by a Delhi Delhi court for their questioning for allegedly possessing Defence Ministry`s secret documents and supplying them to foreign nationals.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vidya Prakash remanded Verma and his wife to CBI custody till September 14.
The CBI had registered a fresh case against both of them on August 28 under the Official Secrets Act on a defence ministry`s complaint.
"Perusal of the correspondence which took place between the investigating agency and the Ministry of Defence goes to show that certain documents, allegedly supplied by both the accused persons herein, are shown to be secret documents pertaining to the different wings of the Ministry of Defence.
"It needs no emphasis that the investigating agency is duty-bound to investigate the matter thoroughly in order to ascertain the truthfulness of the allegations made by the complainant by conducting sustained interrogation of the accused and by confronting them with incriminating documents collected so far as well as to ascertain the involvement of other persons, if any, in the commission of alleged offences," the court said.
The CBI had said in the FIR registered on August 28 that on June 6, a letter from the president of Ganton India Pvt Ltd and Verma`s business partner C Edmond Allen was received by the Defence Ministry, with certain documents annexed to it. Allen had alleged that these were provided by Verma.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam