Over 100 fortified pickets at sensitive Metro stations
New Delhi: More than 100 fortified
security pickets have been erected for the first time at
various important and sensitive Delhi Metro stations in order
to thwart possible terror strikes during the Commonwealth
The pickets or `morchas`, constructed with sandbags
inside the station area, are manned by armed CISF jawans.
The CISF, which guards the Delhi Metro, has deployed
2,000 additional men for the job at sensitive stations like
Connaught Place, Central Secretariat, stations of Dwarka
sub-city, Kashmere Gate among others. The Metro has about 140
stations at present.
The stations have been profiled for setting up the
pickets after a joint security audit by central security
agencies, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) and
officials of the Home Ministry.
"Keeping in mind the increasing rush at Metro stations
and also because of the Commonwealth Games, the security
agencies decided to erect these morchas with armed troops to
thwart and react to possible attacks by terrorists who may
mingle in the crowds and carry out incidents like grenade
hurling," sources in the security establishment said.
Additional CISF personnel, including male and female
commandos, have been deployed for static duties at the
stations and as Quick Reaction Teams (QRTs) to cover both the
station area and its vicinity in shortest possible time.
A decision on whether to continue these `morchas` will
be taken after the Commonwealth Games conclude, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH