Over 1000 of child labour rescued: Delhi Police to HC
New Delhi: The police told the Delhi High
Court that more than one thousand children, working in various
places in the national capital, have been rescued by it in
last one year.
The Delhi Police said 1,111 children working in
various places including factories, shops and small
restaurants, have been set free after raids were conducted and
cases under various penal provisions registered against the
owners of the units.
"The offenders found to be involved in the commission
of various offences under IPC, Bonded Labour Act and Abolition
of Child Labour Act and Juvenile Justices Act were booked and
trials are pending in the courts of Metropolitan Magistrates
(MMs)," Delhi police said in an Action Taken Report placed
before a Bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and
The police furnishing the data from various districts
about the raids and rescue operations conducted jointly with
other agencies since September last year.
It said a standing order was issued to all police
stations to register criminal cases against the employers
about children unable to provide information about their
parents their addresses.
Police would also ascertain the circumstances under
which such children got separated from their family and
involvement of any organised criminal gang.
The ATR was filed by the police on a PIL filed by Save
the Childhood Foundation, an NGO, seeking direction to take
appropriate action against the people employing child labour.
The petitioner alleged the Labour Department has failed
to rescue the children who have been working with various
organizations and the department of Social welfare has failed
to rehabilitate them properly. As a result, the children,
although sent back to their home states, returned to work.
The petitioner said children from neighboring states have
been brought and employed in factories.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof