Over 10,800 policemen punished in 2011
New Delhi: Over 10,800 policemen faced
punishment ranging from dismissal to an explanation call on
charges of corruption and dereliction of duty in 2011, with
the figure being ten times higher compared to previous year.
According to Delhi Police Annual Report 2011, 162
policemen were dismissed last year including two whose
services were summarily terminated.
A total of 1,303 policemen faced punishment, including 35
dismissals, in 2010.
"This year the action against erring policemen was very
large," City Police Commissioner BK Gupta told reporters at
the annual press conference.
While no Deputy Commissioners of Police (DCP) figured in
the list last year, this time one of them was issued an
A total 1,025 policemen were awarded major punishments
like forfeiture of service (634), reduction in pay (22) and
withholding of increments (205).
Another 1,815 personnel were censured.
Departmental enquiry was initiated against 1,586 policemen
while 492 were suspended.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...