Over 12,500 eunuchs get `Aadhaar`
New Delhi: More than 12,500 transgenders
across the country have been issued `Aadhaar` numbers by the
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
"Aadhaar number is being issued to transgender. As on
October 28, 2011, 12,548 of Aadhaar numbers are issued to the
community," the UIDAI said in reply to an RTI query.
Besides, close to six crore such numbers were issued to
individuals within nearly three years since the inception of
The UIDAI has launched the Aadhaar scheme in September
last year with a mandate to issue every citizen a 12-digit
unique identification number linked to the resident`s
demographic and biometric information.
People can use their Aadhaar numbers to identify
themselves anywhere in India as well as to access a host of
benefits and services.
"There are 5,85,77,503 number issued," the UIDAI said
replying to the RTI application.
However, it could not give year-wise details of Aadhaar
numbers issued to eunuchs, as the authority has been facing a
manpower crunch because nearly 50 per cent of its total
sanctioned strength of 383 are lying vacant.
"UIDAI is a new organisation. The process of filling up
the posts was initiated in September 2009. 196 posts have been
filled up so far," it said.
The UIDAI, which acts as an attached office of the
Planning Commission, has issued over one crore Aadhaar numbers
and envisages to issue 60 crore such identity numbers by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?