Over 12,500 eunuchs get `Aadhaar`
New Delhi: More than 12,500 transgenders
across the country have been issued `Aadhaar` numbers by the
Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).
"Aadhaar number is being issued to transgender. As on
October 28, 2011, 12,548 of Aadhaar numbers are issued to the
community," the UIDAI said in reply to an RTI query.
Besides, close to six crore such numbers were issued to
individuals within nearly three years since the inception of
The UIDAI has launched the Aadhaar scheme in September
last year with a mandate to issue every citizen a 12-digit
unique identification number linked to the resident`s
demographic and biometric information.
People can use their Aadhaar numbers to identify
themselves anywhere in India as well as to access a host of
benefits and services.
"There are 5,85,77,503 number issued," the UIDAI said
replying to the RTI application.
However, it could not give year-wise details of Aadhaar
numbers issued to eunuchs, as the authority has been facing a
manpower crunch because nearly 50 per cent of its total
sanctioned strength of 383 are lying vacant.
"UIDAI is a new organisation. The process of filling up
the posts was initiated in September 2009. 196 posts have been
filled up so far," it said.
The UIDAI, which acts as an attached office of the
Planning Commission, has issued over one crore Aadhaar numbers
and envisages to issue 60 crore such identity numbers by 2014.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing