Over 2500 candidates left in fray for MCD polls
New Delhi: Over 2,500 candidates were left
in the fray for the Delhi Municipal polls on April 15 as the
withdrawal of nominations ended on Saturday.
According to State Election Commission, 49 people
withdrew nominations till 7:15 pm today taking the total
number of withdrawals to 76.
This has left 2,535 candidates in the fray.
"Details from some more returning officers are expected.
So this number could come down," an Election Commission
In the past two days, 27 candidates had withdrawn from
Of a total of 3,542 nominations filed, the State Election
Commission jad found 904 papers were not in order and rejected
Almost half of 114 BSP candidates cannot contest the
upcoming municipal polls as their nominations rejected by
State Election Commission due to lack of proper documentation.
According to statistics released by the SEC, nominations
of 51 BSP candidates were rejected leaving it with just 63
candidates in the April 15 polls for 272-member strong
337 nominations, all of them covering candidates, of BJP
were rejected by the SEC while another papers of 280
candidates of Congress were rejected.
For Congress, it will not have own candidates in four
wards and the party is now supporting independents.
Out of the 992 independents, the nominations of 168 were
21 candidates of NCP also will not be able to fight the
elections. Now the party has 41 candidates.
Samajwadi Party will have 72 candidates in fray after its
11 nominations were rejected.
The highest number of candidates are in women reserved
seat of Okhla where 28 people are fighting followed by 25 each
in Mukundpur, Pratap Vihar, Zakir Nagar and Jaitpur (W).
The highest number of rejection of nominations was from
Inderpuri ward where 12 papers were rejected out of 18. In 40
wards, not a single nomination was rejected.
Among the wards which has the highest candidates with
zero rejection rate was Jaitpur (Women), which has 25 people
fighting the April 15 election. In Khajoori Khas, none of the
19 nominations were rejected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!