Over 4,100 people arrested in Delhi this year
New Delhi: Over 4,100 people were
arrested in the national capital in the first two months of
this year for their involvement in several cases even as the
city reported a decline in heinous crimes.
According to Delhi Police statistics, a total of 4,188
persons were arrested this year till February 28 in heinous
and non-heinous crimes.
During this period, 25 persons were convicted while 11
acquitted during the trial. "A total of 894 are facing trial
while investigations are pending against 3,258 accused," a
senior police official said.
According to statistics, a total of 330 heinous crimes
were reported this year till March nine which is a 16.24 per
cent decrease from the 394 reported during the same period
The figures showed that murder cases has decreased to
87 from 96 last year though attempt to murder cases showed an
increase of two to 56.
Incidents of robbery also showed a declining trend as
it registered 113 this year as against 142 the previous year
"One of the important decline was noted in rape cases
where the numbers came down to 55 from 82. This year rape
cases have come down by 32.93 per cent and molestation cases
are down by 24.79 per cent," the official said.
Dacoity was down to seven from previous year`s eight
while kidnapping for ransom cases were two this year as
against five last year. Snatching cases also came down to 197
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16