Over 5000 govt residences to be built in southwest Delhi
New Delhi: In an effort to meet the shortage of accommodation for government officers, Centre is working on building over 5,000 houses as part of a 240 acre residential project in Ghitorni in southwest Delhi.
Official sources said the project will be developed by National Building Construction Corporation (NBCC) in association with Central Public Works Department (CPWD) to which the land belongs.
The project would include building of 5000 plus residences in addition to office space.
The CPWD and the NBCC have already signed a memorandum of association. A memorandum of understanding for the execution of the project will soon be signed, officials said.
"The NBCC is likely to appoint a consultant for the project. It is being considered that some portions which may include commercial portions of the housing sections could be sold to raise money for the project," an official said.
As per the memorandum of association, a committee which would comprise three members each from both the organisations will be formed under the chairmanship of DG CPWD to look in to the implementation of the project.
To meet the demand for housing of government officers and those working with PSUs and tribunals, NBCC and CPWD are already redeveloping six colonies in the capital.
While NBCC is rebuilding Netaji Nagar, Kasturba Nagar and Tyagraj Nagar, CPWD is redeveloping Sarojini Nagar, Mohammedpur and Sriniwaspuri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors