Over 550 revellers challaned for drunken driving
New Delhi: Over 550 revellers were challaned for driving under the influence of alcohol in the capital as they rang in 2013.
A total of 574 people were prosecuted for drunken driving in the city during the New Year celebrations, an increase from last year`s 504. In 2011, the figure was 388 while 188 were challaned in 2010.
A total of 844 challans were issued during the New Year drive as against last year`s figure of 624.
"Amongst vehicles, 294 were cars driven by drunk drivers, 232 two wheelers, 4 HTVs, 23 LGVs, 11 auto-rickshaws and 10 others," Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic), said.
He said a total of 167 vehicles were impounded as nobody was there with valid licence to hand over the vehicle.
"New year celebrations saw traffic police putting about 100 teams to check drunken driving. All those who were caught for drunken driving will have to present themselves before courts.
"Maybe their New year festivities end in court with real possibility of getting jail terms, apart from losing licence and getting fine for what they did. One has to ask is this the way to celebrate new year," he said.
South Range had the maximum prosecutions for drunken driving with 221 followed by West (126), North (125), East (73) and Central (44).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL