Over 600 mobiles, laptops worth Rs 1.76 cr left at Delhi airport
New Delhi: More than 600 mobile phones and laptops were left behind by air travellers at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) here this year and a number of these are still are lying with airport authorities.
The total value of such items stood at Rs 1,76,52,268 in the first five months of this year, officials said.
In a data compiled (till May this year) by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which guards the domestic and international terminals of the IGIA, the force has restored to genuine passengers unattended bags, mobile phones, laptops, camera and wallets carrying cash totalling over Rs 1.22 crore.
The rest is lying with the airport authorities as officials say that in certain cases the passengers could never come back to collect their belongings or in some cases they return after months to the IGIA.
A total of 511 mobile phones were found lying unattended at the IGIA and 277 were returned to bonafide passengers with the help of CCTV footage and other passenger data available with the airlines, a CISF spokesperson said.
Besides, 124 laptops of various brands were recovered from the waiting area of the Delhi airport during the same period. While 104 laptops were handed over to the passengers, the rest were deposited with airport authorities.
The CISF, during the same time period, apprehended 16 touts who were involved in fleecing money from air passengers and handed them over to the airport police, while five criminal cases were also lodged against those who indulged in theft of valuables and other items in the airport premises.
Six cases of arms and ammunition detection at the airport and eight cases, which include those of fake tickets, forged currency, passenger nuisance and hoax bomb calls, were also reported to the police by the security force during the same period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir