Over 600 mobiles, laptops worth Rs 1.76 cr left at Delhi airport
New Delhi: More than 600 mobile phones and laptops were left behind by air travellers at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) here this year and a number of these are still are lying with airport authorities.
The total value of such items stood at Rs 1,76,52,268 in the first five months of this year, officials said.
In a data compiled (till May this year) by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which guards the domestic and international terminals of the IGIA, the force has restored to genuine passengers unattended bags, mobile phones, laptops, camera and wallets carrying cash totalling over Rs 1.22 crore.
The rest is lying with the airport authorities as officials say that in certain cases the passengers could never come back to collect their belongings or in some cases they return after months to the IGIA.
A total of 511 mobile phones were found lying unattended at the IGIA and 277 were returned to bonafide passengers with the help of CCTV footage and other passenger data available with the airlines, a CISF spokesperson said.
Besides, 124 laptops of various brands were recovered from the waiting area of the Delhi airport during the same period. While 104 laptops were handed over to the passengers, the rest were deposited with airport authorities.
The CISF, during the same time period, apprehended 16 touts who were involved in fleecing money from air passengers and handed them over to the airport police, while five criminal cases were also lodged against those who indulged in theft of valuables and other items in the airport premises.
Six cases of arms and ammunition detection at the airport and eight cases, which include those of fake tickets, forged currency, passenger nuisance and hoax bomb calls, were also reported to the police by the security force during the same period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly