Over 600 mobiles, laptops worth Rs 1.76 cr left at Delhi airport
New Delhi: More than 600 mobile phones and laptops were left behind by air travellers at the Indira Gandhi International Airport (IGIA) here this year and a number of these are still are lying with airport authorities.
The total value of such items stood at Rs 1,76,52,268 in the first five months of this year, officials said.
In a data compiled (till May this year) by the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which guards the domestic and international terminals of the IGIA, the force has restored to genuine passengers unattended bags, mobile phones, laptops, camera and wallets carrying cash totalling over Rs 1.22 crore.
The rest is lying with the airport authorities as officials say that in certain cases the passengers could never come back to collect their belongings or in some cases they return after months to the IGIA.
A total of 511 mobile phones were found lying unattended at the IGIA and 277 were returned to bonafide passengers with the help of CCTV footage and other passenger data available with the airlines, a CISF spokesperson said.
Besides, 124 laptops of various brands were recovered from the waiting area of the Delhi airport during the same period. While 104 laptops were handed over to the passengers, the rest were deposited with airport authorities.
The CISF, during the same time period, apprehended 16 touts who were involved in fleecing money from air passengers and handed them over to the airport police, while five criminal cases were also lodged against those who indulged in theft of valuables and other items in the airport premises.
Six cases of arms and ammunition detection at the airport and eight cases, which include those of fake tickets, forged currency, passenger nuisance and hoax bomb calls, were also reported to the police by the security force during the same period.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know