Over 8,200 kids` deaths at Safdarjung Hospital: NHRC seeks explanation
New Delhi: National Human Rights Commission Friday issued notice to Union Health Secretary and Medical Superintendent of Safdarjung Hospital here on a complaint alleging that more than 8,200 children have died at the institution in the past five years.
The NHRC issued the notices returnable in four weeks on the complaint by R H Bansal alleging that more than 8,200 children up to the age of five years died during the last five years in Safdarjung Hospital.
In his complaint, he also alleged that out of the 8,200 children, about 3000 were newly born.
In his petition to the NHRC, Bansal has claimed that he got the information from the hospital under RTI.
"He has also alleged that five out of 18 ventilators for children were not functional. The conditions were unhygienic and there was an acute shortage of essential services at the hospital.
"He has also alleged that women were also dying during pregnancy in the hospital," an NHRC statement said.
The NHRC had yesterday issued a notice to the Union Health Secretary on a complaint alleging that three government hospitals in the capital conducted illegal clinical drug trials on nearly 3,500 children during the last five years.
The hospitals are Safdarjung Hospital (2,056 children), Kalawati Saran Children Hospital (1,023) and Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital (400).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai