Overspeeding in Delhi may land you in jail
New Delhi: After a series of fatal accidents
due to overspeeding in the city, Delhi Police is now mulling
ways to jail those who drive their vehicles above the
prescribed speed limit.
"We will propose that those who drive at speeds which are
excessive should be detained and their driving licences seized
and suspended, based on photographic evidence by the courts,
apart from fines etc.
"Over speeding also has jail terms as well. We will take
up with the court that in excessive cases jail terms be
given," Satyendra Garg, Joint Commissioner of Police
In several cases of drunken driving, drivers were sent to
jail. Last year, a total of 18073 motorists were prosecuted
for drunken driving of which 2,960 were given jail terms and
2,212 driving licenses were suspended.
Garg also said city would soon have sophisticated cameras
to check overspeeding.
"We have been, ever since mindless cases of people
driving at 150 km and above, have come to notice, looking for
devices which can check over speeding particularly in night.
"Yesterday I had a look at a system on ground which was
beautifully taking photos of vehicle, number plate and the
driver even at 100 plus speed in night with details of speed
at which vehicle was driven. Soon city should have these
cameras and we can rein in devils at wheels who over speed and
are dangers to themselves and to others," he said.
He said they were also working on a system where lane
driving will become mandatory for all.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars