Paharganj terror strike aborted as IM man got injured: Police
New Delhi: Five months after the February 13, 2010 bomb blast at Pune, Indian Mujahideen (IM) had planned to carry out a terror strike at German Bakery here on August 1 but the plan was aborted as one of the executors sustained bullet injuries due to accidental firing, Delhi Police said.
The Special Cell of Delhi Police said this to a court here in its charge sheet filed against IM`s Indian chief Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 19, 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case in which two Taiwanese tourists had sustained bullet injuries.
On February 13, 2010, a powerful bomb blast had ripped the Pune`s German Bakery killing 17 people, including foreigners, and injuring around 60 others.
The special cell, in its charge sheet, said Yasin had planned to carry out the strike at German Bakery in Paharganj here on August 1, 2010 and co-accused Quateel Siddiqui, who died under mysterious circumstances in Pune Yerawada Jail in 2012, and Mohd Adil were assigned the work to open fire at the foreign tourists.
It said while Quateel and Adil were on their way to carry out the attack, the carbine which was in possession of Adil went off accidentally and Quateel sustained injury in his hips.
"On August 1, 2010, Adil was supposed to carry out the attack at about 9 PM but the carbine then being carried out by him went off accidentally and Quateel received bullet injury in his hip while they were on their way to carry out the attack," the police said.
They said that in July 2010, Yasin and Quateel had conducted a recee of the places where foreigners made frequent visits and Yasin decided to carry out the strike at German Bakery.
"Yasin had arranged one carbine, one pistol and some ammunition from Munger (in Bihar) through a contact of Riyaz (IM co-founder). After arranging a room at Shastri Park Delhi, he (Yasin) had called Quateel and asked him to reach Delhi along with Adil. Yasin had also arranged one stolen black motorcycle for the action," it said.
The Delhi Police also said that after the "failed
attempt", Yasin decided Jama Masjid was the area where attack would be carried out and Asadullah Akhtar and Pakistani national Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas, who was recently arrested, would execute the strike.
"However, Adil and Quateel insisted that they be given one more chance to execute the strike. This was conveyed to Riyaz who consented to this but directed that Asadullah and Waqas should give cover to Quateel and Adil this time," it said.
It claimed that in pursuance to the conspiracy, the strike was carried out at gate number three of Jama Masjid on September 19, 2010 where Quateel and Adil "fired indiscriminately" on foreign tourists getting down from a bus and sped away.
The police filed its charge sheet against Yasin and Akhtar under various sections of the IPC including 307 (attempt to murder), 120B (criminal conspiracy) and under the provisions of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Arms Act.
The police claimed in the charge sheet that Yasin Bhatkal was instructed by Pakistan-based handlers to carry out terror attacks just before the beginning of 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG) held in Delhi.
The police said that on September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired at tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese, Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-chiange, had sustained bullet injuries whereas a bomb was fitted in a car parked in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27