Pak activist Jahangir suggests castration for Delh
Lahore: Leading Pakistani rights activist Asma Jahangir on Tuesday suggested that the men involved in the gangrape of a young woman in the Indian capital should be punished with castration.
Jahangir comments while speaking at a conference organised here by the South Asian Free Media Association, caused a flutter in the gathering.
Jahangir, a former chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, further suggested that if the rapists were not castrated, they should be hanged.
"The rapists must not go scot-free," she stressed.
She said the media should differentiate between victims of sexual torture and defenders of rights.
The gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student on a moving bus in Delhi has caused much outrage in India with demands of tough punishment for the perpetrators raised from all quarters.
The incident that brought people on the streets of the Indian capital prompted the government to set up a fast track court for hearing the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!