Pak activist Jahangir suggests castration for Delh
Lahore: Leading Pakistani rights activist Asma Jahangir on Tuesday suggested that the men involved in the gangrape of a young woman in the Indian capital should be punished with castration.
Jahangir comments while speaking at a conference organised here by the South Asian Free Media Association, caused a flutter in the gathering.
Jahangir, a former chairperson of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, further suggested that if the rapists were not castrated, they should be hanged.
"The rapists must not go scot-free," she stressed.
She said the media should differentiate between victims of sexual torture and defenders of rights.
The gang-rape and murder of a 23-year-old physiotherapy student on a moving bus in Delhi has caused much outrage in India with demands of tough punishment for the perpetrators raised from all quarters.
The incident that brought people on the streets of the Indian capital prompted the government to set up a fast track court for hearing the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM