Panchayat decisions should be taken as "guidance": RLD MP
village, RLD MP Jayant Chaudhary on Sunday said panchayats decisions should not be taken as "diktats or orders" but as "guidance".
"If an elder sitting at his home puts forward his views, that is his right. People who want to follow it or do not want to follow it, it is their decision. In today`s time, every person has his own right.
"As far as the panchayat system and traditions of the villages are considered, where people live together, they (panchayats) have played a positive role," Chaudhary, who is the son of Civil Aviation Minister Ajit Singh, said.
Chaudhary said panchayats and village elders put in continous effort to creat awareness among the youth about dowry, foeticide and other evil practices.
"Thus it cannot be considered as diktats or orders but can be called guidance," he said.
His comments came against the backdrop of directives issued by a panchayat in Asara village in Baghpat`s Ramala area in UP banning love marriages and barring women below 40 years of age from going out for shopping and using mobile phones outside their homes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read