Panel formed to solve Delhi water logging woes
New Delhi: The city government has constituted a 15-member co-ordination committee to find "short and long term" solutions to the problem of water logging in the capital, the Delhi High Court was informed on Wednesday.
"The co-ordination committee, headed by Chief Secretary of Delhi government, comprises heads of trifurcated MCD, NDMC, and other civic bodies to look into the issue of water logging," Najmi Waziri, counsel for city government, told a bench of justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Vipin Sanghi.
The panel was scheduled to meet for the first time today, he said after which the court asked the government to file a report before October 9, the next date of hearing, giving details of outcome of its meeting and possible actions to be taken solve the problems.
The government`s decision came in the wake of an earlier court order asking it to form a committee of senior officers to evolve a mechanism to desilt drains to prevent water logging during monsoon season here.
"In pursuance of the High Court order, Chief Secretary of Delhi Government is pleased to constitute a Co-ordination Committee as permanent mechanism to work towards a solution for redressal of the problem of water logging of national capital territory of Delhi," a letter from Urban Development department of city government, which was given to the court, said.
During the hearing, the government told the bench that the courts should not assume the power of the executive.
"We are also very reluctant and do not want to enter into the shoes of the executive as we lack the wherewithal to solve such issues," Justice Kaul said, adding that the fact of the matter of is that problems are there.
"We want to be sure that a complete mechanism be put in place (to solve these problems)," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer? - Part II
- DNA: Analysis of India's first-ever indigenous space shuttle RLV-TD
- DNA: Analysis of Chabahar pact signed between India, Iran and Afghanistan
- Left Front to hit the streets against post-poll violence
- 45 union ministers to tour UP on Modi government's second anniversary
- Man who tried shaking hands with lion sent to jail in Hyderabad
- Congress planning to digitalise photographs, speeches of Indira Gandhi
- Left, Congress threaten to skip Mamata's swearing-in, BJP to observe black day