‘Parental intrusion ruining couples` marital life’
New Delhi: The interference of parents in the
married life of their daughters has become a major cause for
playing havoc with the lives of young couples post marriage,
the Delhi High Court has said.
Expressing concern over rift between couples due to
parents` persistent interference in their daughter`s married
life, Justice Kailash Gambhir upheld a lower court`s decree of
divorce to a man on the ground of his in-laws` frequent
interference in his marital life.
Justice Gambhir said parents should draw a line to let
their daughters lead happy married lives.
"All parents guide, teach and discipline their daughters
and are concerned about their welfare after marriage but it is
imperative for parents to draw a line as the prime concern
should be that their daughter is happily settled in a new
atmosphere at the husband`s place," he said.
But, it should not mean day-to-day monitoring of the
affairs taking place at the matrimonial home of the daughter,
Parents should not become uninvited judges of problems of
their daughter, become an obstacle in the daughter`s married
life, plant thoughts in her mind and gain control over her and
promote disharmony in her family life, the judge said.
"They are expected to advise, support and believe in their
upbringing maintaining a discreet silence about the affairs of
the matrimonial relationship," the court said.
"The present case is an unfortunate example where the
parents of the appellant, instead of putting out the fire have
fuelled and fanned it," the court said, dismissing an appeal
filed by the wife challenging the lower court`s order granting
the man decree of divorce.
According to the husband, the difference with his wife
started a few months after their marriage in 1990 due to
frequent interference of his in-laws.
He alleged that he was even hit publicly by his father-in
law two years after his marriage.
Seeking decree of divorce, he had approached the court,
which allowed his plea on the grounds of cruelty by his wife
due to continuous interference by his in-laws.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!