Parents of road mishap victim given Rs 28L comp
New Delhi: The parents of a young private firm`s executive, crushed to death by a rashly-driven truck in 2011, have been awarded Rs 28.05 lakh as compensation by a road mishap tribunal.
The Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) has asked the Cholamandalam General Insurance Company Ltd, which had insured the offending vehicle, to pay Rs 28.05 lakh to the parents of victim Rajnish Ranjan, who had died in an accident on May 8, 2011.
"Insurance company has not proved any defence available to it under statute. Therefore, the compensation would be deposited by the insurance company within 30 days," MACT Presiding Officer Arun Bhardwaj said, while directing it to pay the compensation amount to the victim`s parents.
A claim of Rs 50 lakh was filed by the deceased mother Sunila Devi and father Jai Shanker Prassad Singh, natives of Bihar, after their unmarried son Ranjan died in the mishap.
The victim`s parents had said in their petition that on May 8, 2011 while Ranjan was returning home on his motorbike from his Gurgaon office, a rashly driven truck hit him and he died.
They said their 25-year-old son worked as a manager at DLF Ltd in Gurgaon and was drawing a salary of Rs 2.25 lakh per annum.
The tribunal awarded the compensation to parents accepting their claim of negligence by truck driver.
"It is a settled law that test of negligence in a claim petition filed under Motor Vehicles Act is of preponderance of probabilities and not beyond all reasonable doubts as is in a criminal case.
"Therefore, this issue is decided in favour of the victim`s parents (petitioners) and against the respondents (the vehicle driver, its owner and the insurer," the court said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Batla House encounter was not fake: Shivraj Patil
- Ekadanta Sankashti Chaturthi Vrat—Significance, Tithi and Timings!
- Guru Granth Sahib desecration in Faridkot: Provide information, get Rs 10 lakh from CBI - Here are details
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be announced soon
- Check Mahresults.nic.in for HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board, MSBSHSE class 12th XII Exam Results 2016