Parking to be allowed near Red Fort from tomorrow
New Delhi: Visitors to the majestic Red Fort can now park their cars near the 17th century monument with the Archaeological Survey of India deciding to open the
south western parking for tourists in view of the Commonwealth Games.
The south western parking of the Mughal-era fort near the Sunehri Masjid will be opened for public from tomorrow and tourists can park their vehicles free of cost. K K Muhammad, Superintending Archaeologist, Delhi Circle said the decision was taken in anticipation of hundreds of visitors to historic monuments during the Commonwealth
Games that begins on Sunday.
He said since Red Fort is one of the three World Heritage Sites of the capital, foreign and domestic tourists who will come for the Games will visit the fort. The much-awaited parking facility is expected to give a boost to tourist footfalls at the Shahjahan-built citadel.
The number of visitors to the Red Fort had dropped last year and ASI officials have often blamed the absence of a parking facility at the Red Fort, as a major reason of lesser
number of footfalls as compared to Qutub Minar.
"Previously many of the tourists were skipping the Red Fort as there was no designated parking area near it. This new facility will provide an opportunity for the tourist who
wanted to see the palace of Shahjahan," he said.
He said initially, tourists can use the parking free of cost and later a nominal fee will be levied.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'