Parliament passes NDMC Bill
New Delhi: The MP from New Delhi Lok Sabha
constituency will have voting right in the NDMC governing
council as a Bill to this effect was passed by Parliament
The New Delhi Municipal Council (Amendment) Bill, 2011,
which has already been passed by Lok Sabha on December 7, was
approved by Rajya Sabha today by a voice vote.
Earlier, the MP from New Delhi area was called to the NDMC
meeting as a special invitee. Now the MP will have a voting
Representation of the SC has been increased to two from
But, the number of MLAs as members of the council will be
reduced from three to two. The bill, seeks to amend the NDMC
The total number of members will be increased to 13 from
11 at present.
Replying to the debate, Minister for Shipping G K Vasan
said the Amendment to the law governing NDMC "has been
necessitated because of delimitation of assembly
constituencies in Delhi".
As per the business agenda of the Rajya Sabha, the Bill
was to be moved by Home Minister P Chidambaram, but it was
piloted by Vasan.
NDMC is entrusted with the responsibility of looking after
the Luyten`s Delhi in the national capital.
According to the amendment bill, a Chief Minister, if
representing the NDMC area, will chair the meetings of the
council. Alternatively, an MP of the area, if he or she is a
minister, will chair the meetings. If the MP representing the
area is not a minister, then the MLA, if holding a ministerial
position, will chair.
Earlier, Syed Azeez Pasha (CPI), Shadi Lal Batra (Cong),
Narendra Kumar Kashyap (BSP) and Avinash Rai Khanna (BJP)
participated in the debate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing