Parliamentary panel raps DDA for poor construction quality
New Delhi: Delhi`s premier housing agency
DDA has come under severe attack from a parliamentary panel
for failing to put in place a mechanism to ensure quality in
its construction work and punish the guilty contractors.
The Public Accounts Committee of Lok Sabha, also
lambasted DDA, which functions under the Urban Development
Ministry, for not framing guidelines to deal with the
defaulting contractors of its Dwarka project as suggested by
the panel earlier.
It also directed the agency to set up a mechanism in
consultation with other civic agencies within next three
months for removal of bottlenecks in expeditious
implementation of various projects.
The panel criticised the Urban Development Ministry for
failing to implement its earlier recommendations to improve
functioning of the DDA.
"The Committee recommended that the Ministry of Urban
Development should not let things go adrift in DDA and take
proactive and result-oriented steps to set the DDA house in
order," the panel headed by BJP leader Gopinath Munde said.
It also asked the Ministry to direct the DDA to put in
place a comprehensive mechanism under which due diligence is
carried out before awarding contract to contractors.
"An appropriate clause should also be incorporated in the
tender document as well as in the agreement for imposition of
penalty in the event of any time and cost overrun," it said.
The panel slammed the DDA for failing to follow its
direction and take appropriate action against those involved
in implementation of five projects in Dwarka, delay in
completion of which by 28 months had resulted in cost
escalation of Rs 7.29 crore.
The city government also came under attack from the panel
for refusing to bear expenses of developing Master Plan roads
in Dwarka and some other localities in the city.
The DDA had decided to construct the Master Plan roads in
Dwarka with its own funds and later requested the Delhi
government to refund the amount as development of city roads
is the responsibility of the government.
"The committee is not inclined to accept the stand taken
by the city government that expenditure on development of
Master Plan roads has to be borne by allottees as DDA loads
such expenditure on them while working out the cost of the
project," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy