Parole applications of two lifers rejected
New Delhi: Parole applications of two persons serving life imprisonment for having committed rape and other heinous crimes have been rejected by Delhi Lieutenant Governor Tejendra Khanna.
Harpreet Singh, who had served nine years of his life sentence, had sought parole in order to file a Special Leave Petition. Another convict Duli Chand, who had served over 13 years of his sentence for raping a girl in Delhi, had requested parole to deal with an issue pertaining to his ancestral property.
In both the cases, parole for one month had been recommended by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and Principal Secretary (Home) Arvind Ray. But the Lt Governor rejected it in both cases in early December.
When contacted, Chief Secretary DM Spolia said the Chief Minister and the Home Secretary had recommended parole for the two convicts following "favourable inputs" from the Tihar jail authorities.
"Parole recommendations are made after jail authorities observe the conduct of the convicts. It is not made just out of thin air. The Chief Minister and the Home Secretary made the recommendation based on inputs from the jail," Spolia said.
"The rejection of the parole by the Lt Governor should not be seen as a grave difference of opinion. Parole is not bail...Even murderers are given parole. One should not read too much into it," he said.
Delhi BJP chief Vijay Goel criticised Dikshit for recommending the parole and accused her of resorting to "tokenism" in addressing the serious issues of women safety in the city.
"On one hand the Chief Minister is talking about women safety and on the other hand she has been recommending parole for rape convicts. This is atrocious. The Government must send a strong message that it will not be lenient towards perpetrators of such crimes," said Goel.
"Dikshit has been talking about women safety. But this is a brazen case of the Chief Minister not being very serious in containing heinous crimes against women," he said.
Goel said Delhi Government has done nothing in the last two-and-half months to ensure a safe environment for women in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27