Paswan supports demand for stringent punishment to rapists
Patna: LJP chief Ramvilas Paswan on Sunday supported demand for stringent punishment to rapists but said no to capital punishment.
Describing rape as a crime worse than murder, Paswan told reporters here, he fully supported the demand for stringent punishment to the rapists in general and in the gangrape case of the 23 year-old Delhi girl in particular.
Paswan, however, opposed capital punishment to the accused in this specific case and in rape cases in general.
Over hundred countries have written to the UN demanding death sentence be scrapped, he said.
"I will welcome if the UPA government decides to convene a special session of parliament for framing of a law incorporating stringent provisions to punish those who commit rape," he said.
Hailing the UPA government`s decision to set up a judicial commission to probe the gang-rape case, he said the Centre appeared to be serious about incorporating deterrent measures in the law to deal with crime like rape.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde have taken serious view of the gangrape case of the medical student and were aware of the ongoing massive protest in the national capital on the issue and positive measures will be taken in this regard, he said.
The people of socialist leaning have been opposed to capital punishment, he reiterated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!