Paswan supports demand for stringent punishment to rapists
Patna: LJP chief Ramvilas Paswan on Sunday supported demand for stringent punishment to rapists but said no to capital punishment.
Describing rape as a crime worse than murder, Paswan told reporters here, he fully supported the demand for stringent punishment to the rapists in general and in the gangrape case of the 23 year-old Delhi girl in particular.
Paswan, however, opposed capital punishment to the accused in this specific case and in rape cases in general.
Over hundred countries have written to the UN demanding death sentence be scrapped, he said.
"I will welcome if the UPA government decides to convene a special session of parliament for framing of a law incorporating stringent provisions to punish those who commit rape," he said.
Hailing the UPA government`s decision to set up a judicial commission to probe the gang-rape case, he said the Centre appeared to be serious about incorporating deterrent measures in the law to deal with crime like rape.
UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde have taken serious view of the gangrape case of the medical student and were aware of the ongoing massive protest in the national capital on the issue and positive measures will be taken in this regard, he said.
The people of socialist leaning have been opposed to capital punishment, he reiterated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof