Pawar slapper`s judicial custody extended
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday extended by 14
days the judicial custody of Harvinder Singh who had slapped
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar at a function here.
Singh, who has been ordered to remain in the Institute of
Human Behaviour and Allied Sciences (IHBAS) till December 12
for examination of his mental condition, was produced before
the court after the expiry of his judicial remand.
"The judicial custody of the accused is extended till
December 23," Metropolitan Magistrate Jasjeet Kaur said.
Singh was admitted at IHBAS for tests on December 2 as
per the court`s directive and the magistrate had asked the
medical superintendent of the Institute to authorise a doctor
to personally produce his reports.
Singh`s bail plea is listed for hearing on December 12.
Seeking bail, the counsel for Singh said the accused was
undergoing psychiatric treatment for the last four years and
as per a Supreme Court order, a mentally challenged person
cannot be held guilty even for murder.
The lawyer argued Singh was being persecuted only because
he slapped a Union minister and an influential person while no
case was registered against him for slapping former Telecom
Minister Sukh Ram.
The prosecutor had, however, opposed his bail saying he
was a threat to society and cannot be allowed to roam free.
Singh, a small-time transporter, had assaulted Pawar on
November 24 outside an auditorium on Parliament Street after a
public function, saying it was a protest against price rise
and corruption. Private security guards overpowered Singh
after the incident.
Singh had also attacked Sukh Ram outside a court here on
November 19 after he was sentenced to five years in jail in a
1996 corruption case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened