Pay tax or face property attachment, auction: MCD
New Delhi: Desperate to increase collection
of house tax, the main source of its revenue, the MCD has
warned defaulters that they may face prosecution and property
attachment if they do not clear dues by this month-end.
Issuing a public notice, the civic agency has pointed out
to the citizens that the last date for paying property tax of
earlier years and the current year is March 31 and clearance
of dues by that date will ensure 100 per cent waiver of
interest and penalty on pending tax.
The Municipal Corporation has been running two schemes
for settlement of ex-parte assessments under old system of
assessment (rateable value) as well as the new system (unit
area method) -- both of which will expire in March-end.
The notice said in case of failure to clear property tax
arrears and current dues by March 31, citizens will face
interest at 1 per cent per month of tax unpaid for delayed
payment, penalty of 30 per cent of tax unpaid, rigorous
imprisonment and fine of not less than 50 per cent amount of
the tax evaded and attachment of movable and immovable
properties and their auction.
The cash-strapped civic body is keen to collect more
property tax, which is its main source of revenue. The
collection has been below the initial target this financial
year, prompting the civic body to revise the target.
The old RV system continued till March 31, 2004 after
which the unit area method was introduced from April 1, 2004.
There are about one lakh cases pending under the old system.
In the RV system, the capital value of the property was
used to be taken into account while in the unit area method,
value is assigned to colonies rather than individual
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27