PCI constitutes one-man committee to probe Faizabad incident
New Delhi: Press Council of India on Tuesday constituted a one-man committee to probe into the incident of attack on a religious place and a media house in Faizabad last week.
PCI Chairman Justice (retd) Markandey Katju appointed Sheetla Singh, Member of PCI and editor of Jan Morcha of Faizabad, to inquire into the incident on a complaint filed by activist Teesta Setalvad and submit his report at the earliest, a statement from the PCI said.
"If the allegations in the letter of Setalvad are correct it is a serious criminal offence which tends to disrupt the secular framework of our Constitution and society, and deserves condemnation and harsh punishment," Katju said.
A religious place was gutted and destroyed by vandals and also the office of bilingual Hindi-Urdu publication `Aap ki Taaqat`, which was on its first floor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details